- 2 Cucumbers (Sliced in approx 1 inch pieces)
- I Red Onion finely sliced
- 10 Fresh Sage Leaves
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 2 Teaspoons of Olive Oil
- 1 Shallot.
- Slice your cucumber and sprinkle over 1&1/2 tablespoon of salt. Coat the cucumber.
- Leave in a bowl for 12 hours to release the liquid
- Slice your red onion.
- Chop the sage leaves, garlic and shallot. Pound them in a pestle with the olive oil to create a chunky paste.
- After your 12 hour period. Combine the cucumber, paste and 2 tablespoons of the salty liquid you have taken your cucumber from. Place in a sterilised air tight container.
- The cucumbers don't have to be covered with the liquid.
- Set aside at room temperature for 2 days and allow to ferment.
When preparing any fermented foods it's important to be scrupulous about hygiene. You want to introduce healthy bacteria not unwanted bacteria.
Your cucumber mix should be dished into a sterilised air tight container.