Water Keffir grains are a bacteria and yeast combination. They feed off and metabolise the sugar in sugar water.
The result is a drink that has had much of the sugar converted to simpler sugars, lactic and acetic acids, carbon dioxide and ethanol. This means a healthy fizzy drink but the really big news for me is that the drink also contains a barrowload of probiotics which is tremendous support for gut health.
- 1/2 Tablespoon of Water Keffir grains
- 1/2 Tablespoon of Sugar
- 3 Cups of Water
- 1/2 Pomegranate
- Flip top jars and or bottles
- Create a sugar water mix by combining the water and sugar add your grains and store in a flip top jar for 2 to three days.
- Separate your grains and the sugar water. Your grains are now ready to re use.
- Add pomegranate to the water mixture and again seal in a jar. After 3/4 days (exactly how long will depend on ambient temperature) you will have a lightly carbonated drink. After this time dispense into bottles or other jars and store in the fridge.
As with all fermentation avoid using metal utensils and containers which will interfere with the fermentation process. Glass and plastic are ideal.